Laura Hasthorpe is the Director of Colourstrings Vancouver since 2004, as a musical entrepreneur she is the first early childhood specialist to bring the Colourstrings education to Canada. A professional violist born in England, Laura is also a certified Colourstrings music kindergarten teacher, having trained with Dr. Géza Szilvay in London, Glasgow and Helsinki where the approach originates.
A graduate of the Royal Academy of Music in London and the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Laura received a Bachelor of Arts in Music and a Certificate of Postgraduate Studies in performance with distinction, as well as gaining numerous prizes and scholarships, one of which took her to continue her postgraduate studies with Gerald Stanick at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.
Highlights of her orchestral career to date include:
• Annual Proms concert series with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
• Recording in 1999 with Scottish band Texas on their UK #1 Album "The Hush"
• Playing with soloist Yo-Yo Ma at the Royal Albert Hall in London
• UK Tour of Wagner's complete Ring Cycle with Scottish Opera Orchestra in 2002-2003
• Playing with Bill Coon, award winning Jazz Guitarist 2009 at Vancouver Jazz Cellar
An active professional freelance violist in Europe and in BC, Laura has played with
The Cadell String Quartet, BT Ensemble, Vancouver Island Symphony Orchestra, West Coast Chamber Orchestra, Northshore Symphonia, Vancouver Metropolitan and BC Chamber Orchestra.